Friday, February 17, 2012

Writing References

So today is FRIDAY! I am still so excited that Shauna is here (I'm driving her back to the airport tonight though.) and that I got to hang out with the CSPA candidates. I also am excited because my cohort is getting together with a professor from last semester for dinner tonight. It'll be nice to relax and chat and catch him up on everything we have been doing and to hear about his semester without us! Lastly, and call me a dork if you want, I am excited to sleep in tomorrow and then begin to do non-stop homework and laundry the rest of the weekend. I will just feel so much better once it is finished!

But my positive for today is.... I had a student ask if I would write them a reference letter. I was really happy to at first and then I panicked! This was the first reference letter I have ever written. (Although I do hope it leads into many many more.) However, I couldn't just take a template and switch it around. I really felt like to do her justice I needed to be honest, provide examples, make it applicable... and overall, I am very happy with how it turned out. She is an excellent student to work with so that helps :) It'll get signed, sealed, and delivered early next week but it is my positive today because I just finished writing it. I feel accomplished! Who would have thought I would be able to pay it forward so soon? So today's positive is in honor of all those who have ever written letters of recommendation or acted as a reference for me. I really appreciate it! Here's to you!!

3 comments:

  1. :-) No surprise here. I think the coolest part about letters of rec are the conversations you have with the student before you write them! Keep up the great work, Emilia!! Super-proud of you!

    Iker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em, i agree with Jeff- not surprised at all! You're such an incredible young woman, who wouldn't want your reference? Super proud of you!! And excited to see about your summer gig! :) You'll blow them away!
      Love, AOT
      jen

      Delete
    2. ...and....clearly I am blog-challenged since I just replied to Jeff's comment.... ugh.

      Delete