Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Highs and Lows

So I haven't posted since last Friday and it is already Wednesday! I've learned some things in that short time and that is what I am going to talk about here... The first thing I learned was that positives would be nothing without their counterpart - negatives. That is right folks. I write a blog where I focus on one positive for every day and here I am telling you that negatives are important!! Well they are! They help you have the ability to pick out the highs of your day and leaving the lows where they belong... down low!

Just to play a little catch up here are some of my positives for the past few days...

On Saturday I went to see The Vow with a girl friend from CSPA. I was so happy she called and we went spur of the moment! It was great to take a break from homework and get out of the house. Thanks for inviting me Taylor and I hope we do more things like that. Next time I want to paint some pottery!

This weekend I developed a pretty nasty cold so Sunday was spent trying to rest and get better. I wasn't able to bake all of the yummy treats I wanted to because I had no energy!

Monday... hmm.... I don't really remember Monday that much... Ah yes, but in the evening I met with Maggie and Marcus, my collaborative group for a class. I brought Chili's To Go with me and wore my new TOMS that David got me. Look - I just blocked everything else about Monday out except the positives!

Tuesday was not my favorite day of the week this week. That was for sure! I spent 14 hours on campus and I was ready to be home! I checked my mail walking into the apartment and noticed a card from my mom, at least I thought it was from her. After I opened it up I learned it was from my dad. It didn't say anything too special - just some chit chat but it meant so much after a hard day. Thanks Daddy! (You do know it made me cry right? That's a given.) I ended up making Skyline 3-ways to celebrate Fat Tuesday and feel like I was home. Didn't quiet do the trick but I'll be home soon enough!

And today, Wednesday, just when I thought I was going to have to pull myself up by my boot straps and fight through to find some thing good I got some more positives sent my way! Maria, David's sister, sent me a little belated Valentine's Day treat! It was just what I needed to remember that no matter where I am, and even if I am having hard times, I have people who love me. Thanks Ria.

Today is also Ash Wednesday. In the past I have given up extra salt and pepper, ice cream, sweets, etc. This year I decided that since I am away from home my days would be way too sad without my usual ice cream fix so I am trying something new. I am trying to set aside time every day for prayer. It's easy to say prayers when you need them but I want to be able to talk with God everyday for no reason at all besides the fact that I have a relationship with him. So I'm going to work on starting a new prayer habit. If you have any advice for what works for you let me know. I just feel like my life is too busy not to take time to pray.

I think I am all caught up now! And remember, every negative has a positive and every low has a high.

1 comment:

  1. Emily! I don't check this near as much as I should, but I just read SO many of your posts. I really like that you're not really giving anything up for lent. I had a really good friend in high school who was very passionate about his faith and he always told me that Lent was, yes a time of sacrifice, so giving something up made sense, but it was also a time to better yourself. He told me that on top of giving up mt. dew or something, I should also try and better myself as a person and as a Catholic. Last year I committed to not talking about people behind their backs and trying to remain positive. It was a really good experience. It made me really think before I spoke and that was AND STILL IS something I really need. I miss you and love you soooooo much. When will you be home!?
    PS. I ran into David's little sister Hannah today, after mass. She is just so wonderful. I really need to take your advice and hang out with her.

    ReplyDelete