Saturday, February 25, 2012

America's Next Food Network Star

My positive on a cold windy day in the Valley has to do with my oven. On my "Leap List" (the list of things I want to do before I make the next big change in my life) is to learn how to cook - at least the basics. I want to have something I can bake, whip up as an appetizer, a drink I can mix, a casserole that everyone likes, a handful of crock pot meals, and a few basic chicken meals. It would be nice to be able to chop up and prepare some side dishes as well. Living on my own has helped with all this. So has Pinterest! 

Today I baked a chocolate chip scone. The first bite was yummy. The second bite was uncooked. So back into the oven went the scone. It came out and in and out and in the oven for the next 15 minutes or so. I just couldn't be patient and let it bake! Then I sat on my hands and let it bake until.... the smoke alarm went off. The top of the scone was just beginning to become golden brown and delicious while the bottom was burning into dark black soot! Ugh! I opened my front and back door to air out the apartment and let the windy day solve my smokey problems. I still had the scone to deal with which I also came to the rescue with. I took a knife and cut off the burnt bottoms so the rest of the warm fluffy chocolate-y scone was saved!

I took a short baking break to go wine tasting and shopping (other great Saturday activities!) and came back home to try my hand at dinner. Wondering what was on the menu? Hasselback potatoes. They look very yummy and are only supposed to take 40 minutes to bake. 120 minutes later I gave up waiting for a crispy outside and soft mashed potato-y inside and just ate it! It tasted good but wasn't quiet what I expected. I'm going to do some more research on what I could do differently next time.

While my Saturday was good all around (I even got some homework done!) I still have a lot to learn about cooking. It won't happen overnight though. Every mistake I make is a mistake I won't repeat. But really, Mom, can't you send me some fool proof recipes? You know, the basics? Two fails in one day is a lot to handle! At least it was all still edible in the end so it's just my ego that is hurt and I'm not still hungry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment