Monday, February 27, 2012

Operation: Beautiful

Last night kicked off National Eating Disorders Awareness Week. I spent Sunday evening on campus preparing. We have a display board where people can write positive messages about themselves or their friends and share the struggles of living in a society obsessed with thinness. After setting that up I met some other students and we chalked positive messages all over campus. It was a late Sunday night of work.

Monday morning began early as I headed off to the rental shop to pick up a helium tank. That was an adventure in itself!! We needed a helium tank because we have a goal of blowing up and handing out 200 balloons with positive messages on them. The balloons are gold and purple and have phrases similar to Operation: Beautiful post-it notes written on them. I wasn't able to be on campus today to see how it went because I was at BRCC leading my first few advising appointments (which was also exciting!). The idea is to start a movement of awareness and happiness across campus through these balloons.

Anyway, on to my positive. The positive for today is that I am gaining some very valuable experience at JMU and BRCC. I'm very lucky I have hands on practice to fall back on. When I am stuck in a tight spot, yes, it is very good to have knowledge and theory to back you up, but sometimes, you just have to make a decision and go for it. National Eating Disorders Awareness Week and my first few advising sessions were exactly like that - jumping in head first! Hoping I come out alive... or at least have some time to relax over Spring Break which is in 4 days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment