Friday, February 3, 2012

So who are you really?

Positive #8 for today is the phone interview I had the morning. I talked to the nicest liveliest funnest people today! I have a phone interview scheduled every few days to try to find a summer internship. Well, I don't think any of them are going to get any better than the one this morning! I was IN LOVE! I would really really love to work there but if I don't get hired I hope that I end up being the type of professionals they are one day. I'm going to try to make a stressful nerve-racking situation the best it can be! Here is the conversation specifically that made my day so great:

VP for Student Services: Now Emily, you just told us about yourself and it all had to do with work and school stuff. That's great. I liked hearing that but now answer the question - who are you really?
Me: Silent (trying to figure out who I am!! :)
VP: If you could please tell me who you are and what you like to do in your down time. I find it hard to believe you read up on first year seminar courses in your free time. I have three questions for you. What do you like to do? Where did you attend high school? And, what is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Me: (unable to contain any emotion) OHMIGOSH! How did you know!? I have to talk about ice cream. You might regret asking that question! I loooove ice cream. I worked at an ice cream shop for almost 3 years. I don't know if you've heard of Graeter's?
The whole committee: Uh, yes! So good! Jealous!
Me: Well, when I was working there I had a goal to like everything we sold and before I quit I liked every flavor, but at different times. I even have a book made explaining what ice cream I can match with my feelings. I really love it.
VP: Tell me this then, (in all seriousness) is there a difference between Graeter's and UDF?
Me: Oh yes! Huge difference! I'm kinda an ice cream snob but I love it so much I can pick out good in it all. I like both brands for different reasons. I certainly don't discriminate!
VP: Well, we have something in common! I really like ice cream too.

Now, anyone who knows me knows I didn't stop smiling the rest of the interview. I have two more interviews next week with other institutions. I hope you all will take the time to say a quick prayer that I will be offered a job and at the institution that is the best fit for me. I'm nervous and I'm trying not to put too much faith in ice cream. But ya know - that is hard. Ice cream has always solved all my problems... in fact, I'm going to go get some right now....

No comments:

Post a Comment