Friday, January 27, 2012

Winter Blues, Blahs, and Ah-hahs

I haven't posted in awhile... it's been hard because I haven't felt like myself. I LOVED being home for winter break and it's been hard getting back into a routine. I didn't want to post and sound unhappy but that is kinda the truth. I am still so grateful for the opportunity to be at JMU and now at Blue Ridge Community College where I am doing my practicum. And yes, I am learning lots! However, the newness has worn off and I feel like I could be challenged more at work. Maybe I'm homesick. Maybe I need a new purpose. - that is my theory for the blues anyway. My mom is convinced that it is wintry cold, dark, dreary weather. It's hard to believe that when two days this week every outdoor picnic table was full at lunch time because it was 60 and sunny!

Regardless of the reason, I haven't been myself and it makes me sad. Being the problem solver that I am I am going to try to fix this mess I'm in. I'm going to get out of my slump by finding one positive thing everyday and holding onto it. YAY!! Fake it til you make it, right?!

So here it goes - starting my New Year's Resolution a little late but in my efforts to have "one positive a day keep the grad school blues away" I'll begin with number one.

1. Today I met with one of my academic mentee's for the first time. (I'm in a program that mentors student who didn't perform very high in their first semester. The mentee's volunteer to participate.) Anyway, she seems really into it and wants to try really hard to do better. We got along great! I think after this semester I might have a new friend too. My other two mentees are male and I haven't met with them yet but today's Friday lunch meeting with my mentee was awesome!

More to come - I heard this blog was being underutilized so get ready... some utilization is about to occur!

No comments:

Post a Comment