Tuesday, November 29, 2011

That awkward time between Thanksgiving and Christmas

That is where I am right now, awkward time, crunch time, whatever, it's happening to me. I had an absolutely wonderful time at home for my week long Thanksgiving break. It was wonderful in the fact that it was normal which at the same time is a problem because I feel like I am boring my blog readers! Anyway, so what if boring makes me happy - this is Thanksgiving break in a nutshell: relaxing at home, reading a book, having David's parents over for dinner with my fam, random night out at Rio Grande, spontaneous trip to Jungle Jim's, touring NKU with my Uncle Anthony, Twilight movie and Bar Louie with Hannah and Maria, Thanksgiving at my house, playing/loving/cuddling with my baby girls, shopping with my aunts and mom, sushi night with the family, partying at Jason's, date night with David... lots of my favorite things all in one week!!

Now back at JMU I have two weeks of classes and then a week of final exams. I'm feeling pretty confident that the end of the semester will end smoothly. My cohort is having a good bye holiday dinner the week before finals. I'm looking forward to it! We all have gotten so busy that I'm glad we plan things to keep in touch and help us feel like we have social lives!

As some of you may know, or remember from a previous post, I have a big problem with my itchy skin! It landed me in Urgent Care with an infection! Soon after finishing the medications I was prescribed it came back worse than ever, on my arms, chest, and face too! I was able to squeeze into the visiting physician's assistant (who focuses in dermatology) at JMU's health clinic and she gave me lots of home remedies and more medication. It cleared up for awhile but didn't go away like she said it would. So frustrating! Luckily, I had an appointment over Thanksgiving break with my dermatologist at home. She was all ready for me and had a plan of action! Then she found out that I wouldn't be in town after that week and she advised I see someone in VA who can do closer follow up. So frustrating!!

This really brings me to the point of my story though. I visited the dermatologist we very luckily got an appointment with in Wayneboro, VA today. She was slightly scatterbrained but she got right to it! She looked at my skin and started taking samples for testing. She thinks I have something with inflamed hair follicles and eczema. The eczema makes me itch which irritates the follicles and causes all the markings and infections and creates a cycle. However, to be sure and follow what my doctor at home wanted they took a biopsy and removed a sample of my skin for testing. They numbed my leg so I didn't feel anything but in that moment, lying on my stomach in a paper robe in a tiny room with strangers touching me, all I could do was pray. Pray that they found what has been bothering me for over a year now. Pray that they knew what they were doing. Pray that I could be brave. Pray for others who don't have the opportunity to take action.

After they were finished stitching me up (I go back in two weeks to get the stitches removed and learn the test results.) and left me alone to get dressed again I stood there for a few minutes. It was like I hit a wall. I, in my socks, underwear, and now torn and bloody paper robe, am working on my Master's degree while living on my own in Virginia. I am an adult. How did this happen? How did I grow up and learn how to do things like stay calm and ask the right questions when someone was taking a "punch" out of my thigh? Why do I have to do this alone? Why can't my mom be here this time too? It was like I was feeling a sense of pride (for going through all of this - biopsy, moving, grad school) and fear (for knowing I'm capable and have to take care of myself). It was so weird. I need some more time to think about it all maybe but it just feels surreal.

All in all, I hope we get some answers from these tests but until then I have two new medications to try! The women at the Kroger Pharmacy sure are getting tired of seeing me! Another note of interest for all you followers - I now get "no signal" every time I turn on my TV. You know my love of Comcast - how could such a well organized company mess up something like ohh you know, their service!!??? (Can you hear the sarcasm?!) I am getting other things accomplished such as blogging so I can't complain too much but you can bet as soon as I call them they won't hear the end of it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment