Thursday, June 7, 2012

Whooah, we're halfway there!

... Living on a prayer!.. Well, not really a prayer, more like living on the orientation high. (We are halfway done with our summer orientation programs though.) I guess I should try to explain what that is. However, it's kinda like sororities and fraternities: from the inside looking out you could never explain it and from the outside looking in you could never understand it. I have some amazing people in my life that do a really good job trying to understand why I love what I do. For those of you I haven't talked to about it before here are some reasons.

- I love when students and parents first walk in the door and they have to check in separately. It is sometimes the first independent thing a student does in college.
- I love when the SOAR leaders take off their cool caps, act silly, and help families to relax.
- I love when I have to deal with a difficult parent because I know that student has a support system at home.
- I love when parents are honest about how hard it will be to send their baby away to college. (When they start to tear up, I start to tear up.)
- I love remembering all of the stories my mom has told about me and Ben on our college journeys.
- I love when students find a connection with their future institution. They start to make this place their home.
- I love when opportunities are provided for students to make new friends and then they stay up half the night talking and playing games.
- I love reading evaluations and knowing I did a job well done.
- Even more than that though, I love when a student starts class in the fall, sees their SOAR leader and says, "You were my SOAR leaders. I love going to school here!" That is when orientation is worth it to me.

All of these things combined with the energy and excitement of people on campus, staff members, new students, returning students, and people in between make my job so worth while. I'm able to make working around 30 hours over two days (the most exhausting two days!) more fulfilling than weeks of work sometimes. Nothing is better than loving what you do.

My parents (and maybe Ben) are coming to Pikeville this weekend to visit. I'm really excited to see them and to show off the little place I've become so attached to. My next post will have to be about our adventures here!


No comments:

Post a Comment