Monday, June 11, 2012

Small Town, USA

Mom, Dad, and Ben all got to spend a marvelous two days in Pikeville this weekend! It was just excellent! They got here and I took them on a tour of our small campus, showed them the grand tour of my bedroom, and spied on a wedding happening in the city park. We went to church together and then had dinner at a local barbecue place called Pig in a Poke. My family is the best and gave me all their leftovers for dinner tonight! We were so full from dinner we laid around the hotel for a little bit and then ventured out to Muscle on Main. This is an event held in downtown Pikeville where people can show off their cars. We got there just in time for the last few rounds of a blowout competition. A husband/wife couple competed against each other and I cheered for the woman of course! Good ole Alma gave those men a run for their money! To finish the night we all got tangerine swirl ice cream from Dairy Cheer. This was an amazing discovery that tastes just like a creamsicle. It was the real deal! Just writing about it makes me want one!

After sleeping in, eating at the breakfast buffet, and showering in a real shower (not a dorm room shower) we packed up and headed out to Breaks Interstate Park. This park crosses between Kentucky and Virginia. We hiked along and between the state lines and had so many beautiful views of the mountains. We also had a few family photo shoots. My favorite was getting my mom to climb up on a semi-dangerous rock ledge. I think I get my sense of adventure from her! Or maybe my favorite was when I hid under a fallen rock and Ben pretends like he is holding it up for me. My brother always takes care of me! Or maybe it was when I asked an old lady on an overlook to take a photo of all of us together... yeah, that might be the winner. It was a great day hiking, talking, laughing, and remembering. Remember when we went hiking all day and I got car sick on the way home and threw up on campus? Oh yeah! That was today! Regardless, still an awesome day! We finished up our time together at a local diner called Jerry's. After the rest of the family headed back north I sat on my front porch and read. When the quiet hit me I realized how much joy they bring my life. I don't think we were ever not laughing about something. It was a great weekend.

Luckily, I don't have to deal with the quiet for long. I have two more orientation programs and then I'm moving back home and we'll all be under the same roof again!

Next post: I have got to fill you all in on the coal rally I went to!

No comments:

Post a Comment