Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Yee Yee!!

Today is my last day at the University of Pikeville. I am excited to see some very special people up in the NKY but I'm super sad to be leaving. I'm sitting in my boss' office right now typing out my feelings. I still have a few things to move out of my room and into the car, I guess you could say I'm delaying the process. If you asked me a year ago if I thought I would have moved twice since last August (and am getting ready to move again!), worked three different jobs (and am getting ready to start another one!), passed 6 graduate level classes with a 4.0 GPA (and am actually looking forward to starting classes again), have built the best relationship I can imagine with my parents, made it through the tough times in a long distance relationship with the most awesome understanding man in the world, stayed in touch with friends from undergrad (even though that we all live far away from each other now), created a second family with my JMU CSPA cohort, and got to hang out with 10 unique UPIKE students who have taught me so much in a few short weeks I would have thought it wasn't possible!

I can hardly even believe this is my life. How did I become so independent? How did I grow into a woman of pride and purpose? How did I get so blessed? I am taking risks more than I ever thought I would. Anytime I feel that uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach that means I am learning something and ya know, I haven't regretted sticking with that awful feeling yet. I hope I continue to find people who will challenge me. I certainly created an awesome support system while at UPIKE. I learned some key things here that I will take with me to my next work place and hopefully to my personal life as well. (These are all lessons I have made up, the University of Pikeville does not endorse them.)

UPIKE Lesson #1 - Laugh more. Don't take yourself too seriously. It's okay to have fun while you are working too. In fact, it makes the whole process so much more enjoyable! Be happy. Laugh!

UPIKE Lesson #2 - Don't be passive aggressive. Say what you mean, mean what you say, and say it to who needs to hear it. No good can come from whispering around behind people's backs. Speak up for yourself and be honest. Some people will appreciate it and some people won't but remember, being assertive doesn't mean you are a bad or mean person.

UPIKE Lesson #3 - Teach a student how to do something for themselves and maybe next time they will be able to do it on their own. Do something for a student time and time again because it is "easier" and you are going to be the one stuck with all the work and the student will never learn.

UPIKE Lesson #4 - You won't click with everyone. Some students will be drawn to you and feel comfortable and others will want nothing to do with you. Don't take it personally. You can still work in a professional manner with them. I didn't come into this job to be best friends with students anyway. I did come with the intention to love them and want what is best for them no matter if they like me or not.

UPIKE Lesson #5 - Don't be afraid to be alone. It's easy to not want to go out to eat by yourself or go to a movie alone or take a walk with your own thoughts. We usually aren't raised to be comfortable with being by ourselves. Do it anyway! Be confident. Of course you should want to spend time with yourself - you are amazing!

To all the students and staff at the University of Pikeville who helped make my experience better than I could have ever imagined this post is dedicated to you! Thank you so much! Please let me know if you ever need anything at all. UPIKE and these mountains will always have a place in my heart. Just like Earl Dibbs Jr. does. (Watch that for a good laugh and to understand my title.)


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Brandi said. You are going to be truly missed. You have been such a positive impact to the SOAR team. Any office will be lucky to have you.

    Remember, check the wells daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Honorary SOAR Associate, I regret to inform you that no place on earth will be as fabulous as this, but, enjoy your future nonetheless.
    I hope that one day, a handsome stranger will think it's crazy, but give you his number anyway, and hope that you call him.
    May you always have a good dip to put in and a cold one to crack. Stick to your schedule, because you have one, and don't help those city boys get their trucks out of the mud.
    I'll miss you! And so will coal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, you my love, are simply amazing. An inspiration to many and many more to come. I see Dean of Students somewhere in your future.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete