Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pikeville Pride

I know it's been awhile since I blogged but I have been meaning to for quiet awhile if that is any consolation! I'm nearing the end of my third week at the University of Pikeville. The first week I did really well getting adjusted and figuring this place out. I met a lot of new people and remembered a ton of new names. This first weekend when no one was around was a little difficult but it was easy to bounce right out of my lonely slump because SOAR training started! This is the week that I met the students I would be supervising, got to know them, hang out, learn about UPIKE, and stay very busy! I feel like I have known all of them way longer than a week so far!

In between the end of training and Program 1 beginning I was able to come home for Memorial Day weekend. David and I grilled an amazing dinner one night! We both claimed it to be incomparable to anything we've ever grilled before. We also joined in with his parents and friends for a summer beer tasting. The weekend ended with the Gigliotti's getting back from vacation so I was able to see the little girls. The morning I made my way back to Pikeville my mom baked a cheese danish. It felt like a holiday having everyone together and such yummy food. I'm really looking forward to having my parents and brother come down to visit me here. I don't have many favorite places yet but I plan to give them the highlights! (That is a great future blog idea - the highlights of Pikeville.)

Program 1 happened on Tuesday/Wednesday and Program 2 begins Friday and ends on Saturday. I was really happy with how everything went! In fact, I kept my nerves and anxiety in check and handled everything very well I think! I love the excitement and fear and energy all mixed into a new crazy emotion that comes with starting college. It's contagious! I love what we do and what we offer. And I just so happen to think one or two lucky folks are affected by in. In fact, I heard a student say today that he changed during college. Imagine that!

Some things I am newly addicted to:
1) Falling into speaking with an Eastern KY accent. I wouldn't care to talk like that all the time :)
2) Vanilla-tangerine swirl cones from Dairy Cheer. Real life creamsicle!
3) Sundy Best - a KY country band that is amazing! I waiting to buy a tshirt and CD. Like them on FB.
4) Parks and Recreation. Reliving all the seasons? Why, yes, I do think that is a wonderful idea!
5) Watching this YouTube video that perfectly explains the people I am spending my time with this summer. Watch it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment