Sunday, May 13, 2012

Wedding Weekend

My aunt, Monica, got married this weekend! It was amazing! Just a completely awesome ceremony as well as reception. Everything was phenomenal! I happen to live with both the matron of honor (my aunt, Maria) and a bridesmaid (my mom) so I got lots of the inside scoop! I remember back in December looking at the wedding to-do list thinking it could never all be done in a short amount of time. Well, it was done and done perfectly I might add. I had a blast and absolutely cherished being surrounded by love this weekend. Love comes with weddings but I felt it go deeper than that. Being surrounded by my extended family after being away for awhile was just a little bit sweeter.

I'm so fortunate to have been able to have a week off before starting my internship at the University of Pikeville so I could celebrate this occasion. Tonight is my last night in NKY before I head out to UPike in the morning. I've spent some time reflecting and because the wedding is so much so on my mind one thing keeps coming back to me. In a speech that was made at the reception a message my grandpa said to my parents when they got married was passed down. "Love is willing the good of the other." I began to think about the areas that I could apply this in my life now, even though I'm not married. Then, as corny as it sounds, I checked my Facebook and had a handful of comments from various people in my life and it clicked.

I can try to will the good of others in all aspects of my life. Can you ever have enough love in your life? Can you ever run out of love to give? I just felt so fortunate to have support from all areas of the country and aspects of my life. I'm not just going to Pikeville to be an intern. I am going there to love - to love what I am doing and who I am doing it with. I feel so fortunate to have already connected with some members of the UPike staff that I know care about me. As well as to have a family support system, a Norse network, and a JMU cohort who all support me as well.

I guess my point is, yes, it is very sad to leave home. It's hard to be separated from people you are connected deeply to but in the end I am opening myself up to the possibility of doubling the love and connection I already have. Just like with Monica and Brad's wedding - as Monica's niece I was able to experience her love and happiness but now as she is connected to Brad (and his family!) I am also able to benefit from his love and happiness as well. It is like a spreading chain reaction. Hopefully I can bring back all the love and experience from Pikeville to better those I already have connections with. In the same fashion I hope to leave lots of love at UPike as well.

With all my love (how fitting!),
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment