Saturday, June 15, 2013

One Month Anniversary

I just read all the posts I had on this blog from June 2012. One year ago. One year ago I was finishing up summer orientations at the University of Pikeville. Wow, one year ago doesn’t seem so different from today. Haha, except that is hilarious! Today is so different! But first…

I want to take a minute to look back one month ago. Not so long ago on May 15th I began my first full day of work at UPIKE. I jumped into training SOAR leaders on day one. (They are orientation leaders.) There were 10 students staring up at me watching my next move, plus the graduate intern (gee, that position seems familiar) waiting to see what I was like. We all survived training and then tackled the next three weeks of six consecutive two day overnight programs. (This sounds so simple as I state it here, but if you know orientation, if you know college campuses, then you know, it’s not.) Along the way we became a team. To quote the students, “We are all like a family.” And really, I couldn't agree more.

They are my family.
So one short month ago I was the new girl and tonight, June 15th, I sat at the head of the table with my SOAR family as we celebrated the closing of our sessions. We came full circle and it was really special to look back on it all. I have time to figure out the details and changes later but tonight I got to enjoy the feeling of accomplishment and success. Which was so much sweeter shared over delicious barbecue, silly gift exchanges, and lots of hugs goodbye.

I still have lots to work on even with orientation programs being tied up for the time being… until August. I am anxious to get started cracking down on my to-do list which is drawn on a white board in my office. Just looking at it my visitors become overwhelmed! I also want to take some time to personalize my office space and move in some of my own things (Like the wonderful picture above the staff had framed for me. My pride and joy!) and figure out what the heck is even in the drawers and closet space I have. But time for myself is important too. Next weekend is a big weekend for me! Can’t wait to update you afterwards! Let’s just say, even though my SOAR staff isn’t around, I am not about to let my life get boring. I’m going to take the words, “Let’s get ready to SOAR,” to the next level!

No comments:

Post a Comment