Friday, August 19, 2011

The Unfortunate Mishaps of Living Alone

I have lived in my new apartment for almost a week now. In that time frame I have learned a thing or two. The first is - laugh at yourself! In the right light, these things are actually a tad bit funny. And my second lesson has been - learn to love leftovers. I'll get into that one a little later so first things first...

The towel that never ends - I bought brand new bath towels for my brand new bathroom! They are lovely. The color scheme in the bathroom is navy, yellow, and white. (I'll post pictures in another blog once I learn how.) I had some free time earlier this week so I decided to wash each set of towels separately so they wouldn't stain one another. First load up was navy - bath towel, hand towel, some washcloths, and kitchen hand towels as well. Let's just say I never got around to washing the yellow. The lint coming off of my bath towel is unbelievable. I could sew up a whole other towel with the fuzz that is everywhere!! I tried to use that towel to dry off and had to take another shower because I couldn't get the lint off of me. I turned into a human lint roller!! My yellow bath rugs are polka dotted navy now. I got out the Swifter to dust the walls covered with navy lint, not just in my bathroom anymore but my whole apartment! This towel has been a nightmare! So I washed and dried it again thinking it would help clear off some of the extra fuzzies. Nope! I've even taken this sucker out of my deck to shake it out. It was like blowing on a navy blue dandelion puff with all the fuzzy particles floating away. If anyone has any suggestions for this issue please let me know. Until then - I have my handy dandy travel size lint roller that I carry around with me now :)

The dullest knife I've ever used - My silverware set came with some butter knives but I needed something a little sharper than that. Target had a set of 4 paring knives for $1.99! Great deal but who knows if they will actually work? I put my faith in Target and bought them anyway. I tried to cut up strawberries with them and it was like I was trying to make strawberry jam. It wasn't slicing at all! It turned into a big mashed up strawberry mess. A waste of $1.99!! I turned to Walmart for the save and bought some middle of the road nice enough knives for about $20. When I got home to use some of those - it was like magic! Slicing my banana with perfect precision! I knew I made the right choice. I tested out my cheap knives a couple more times and still had no luck. It wasn't until I pulled one from the dishwasher that I realized that little guy was sharp!! Ouch!! How could something that hurt me like that not cut up a freaking banana!? And that was when I realized.... I had been using the knife the wrong way. I was trying to cut from the dull side rather than the sharpened side. Duh!!! Now talk about a waste of $20 buying new knives! In the end it was a user error. Idiot!

Neighbors.... The Hobbit - I've only seen three other people that live in my building. The first I met with my family here. She lives directly below me. She's an older lady who basically wanted nothing to do with me. When I introduced myself she mumbled something in her raspy voice and then wandered off. For some reason that earned her the nickname of "the hobbit" from Ben and Dad. I haven't talked to her again since that day but I can hear her talking to the birds when she sits out on her deck. Usually I go inside when that happens because soon to follow is the smell of cigarette smoke. Mostly though, I don't mind all of her bird feeders. I enjoy watching them too so if I even talk to her again I'll probably try to bring that up.

Oscar (the Grouch) - The second neighbor I met was so friendly I've named him Oscar. I had opened the back door of my car at about 8:30 AM and climbed inside to clean off a section of the window so I could attach my JMU parking pass. Looking out the back window as I was doing this I noticed a man pull up in his car right behind me and open his window. When I was finished I stepped out and said, "Hi! Good morning! Can I help you?" I thought maybe he was lost or something... As he glared at me he replied "I'm waiting to park." As I looked around and saw at least 10 other parking spots open very near our walkway I was confused. He then pointed to the very one I was standing in. I don't know, call me crazy.. but really man? Park somewhere else.

My last neighbor doesn't have an official nickname yet but I think of him as "the coffee man." - This gentleman was out taking his cat for a walk in the parking lot the day that I met him. He is in a wheelchair and his cat scurries around him while he wheels a bit. I introduced myself and he invited me to come over for coffee one day. I said that would be nice since I just had to learn how to make coffee when I moved in. He then told me I better come by with some biscuits or doughnuts because that goes best with his coffee. I said it sounds good to me and started to excuse myself when he wanted to make sure I knew he makes the best coffee because he was in the Coast Guard. As soon as I buy some biscuits and go down for coffee I'll let you all know how the rest goes!

I would like to take a second to just say that Comcast internet and cable is a pretty screwed up company! Their commercials are really getting on my nerves too because they are filled with a bunch of BS! I would go into more detail but this blog is getting long enough and the long of the short of it is annoying anyway I look at it! I still need to tell all of you about my single person cooking experiences but I'll save that until next time!

All my love, laughs, and unfortunate mishaps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment