Saturday, August 20, 2011

Just call me a local :)

So I was planning on blogging today about the difficulties of cooking for one, which as annoying as that might be, I have way more fun things to talk about so get ready for some excitement rather than my kitchen drama (I'll save that for my momma, but seriously, I do complain to her about it all the time!)

Last night I went out with some people in my program. Almost everyone was there minus the people working in res life. I'm looking forward to them being able to hang out once school really kicks off. We started at a really chill cool bar/restaurant that recently remodeled its basement so it's like a cozy loft (except downstairs not upstairs.) They had a good drink special and the bartender tried out some new drinks on our group too so it was fun! A newspaper was there and started taking pictures so maybe I'll have my Harrisonburg newspaper camio this week! I enjoyed talking with everyone there but we needed a tad bit more excitement so we moved to another bar that has lots of dancing! Everyone else got on the dance floor right away! At first it was weird being there without David so I watched drinks and purses. But as I was sitting there some creepy people started coming around so I got up and danced too. It was fun moving around and laughing with new friends. We didn't get back until about 2:00 AM!! I can't even remember the last time I was up that late!

This morning the sun crept in my room bright and early. I am so happy I got up and didn't waste the day away!! I decided to drive downtown and check out the Farmer's Market. Oh my gosh!!! It was soooo cool!! Definitely a must go to place when friends and family come in town! They have lots and lots of vendors with so many different options. Just to name a few items that were being sold: vegetables and fruits of all kinds, soap, honey, lotion, herbal tea, coffee, bread, doughnuts, eggs, chicken, beef, jewelry, photography, hand sewn clothes, soups, cheeses... it was crazy!! I loved walking around admiring the produce and taking in all of the fresh smells. I bought a doughnut which was amazing!! The outside was crispy and sweet and the inside was soft and doughy - best doughnut I have ever had in my life. Hands down! It was so good!! I listened to a banjo/guitar band that was there for a little bit while I ate my yummy treat and then decided to walk down to the library and return my books. On the way I saw two people I knew!! One of them was "the coffee man" from my apartment and another was a guy from my program. I know people here!! Yay!! I walked back to the market after dropping on my books and bought a variety pack of cherry tomatoes that caught my eye. They are so beautiful in color and I can tell I won't be able to stop eating them! There are yellow, red, orange, and black cherry tomatoes in the bunch. I'm really looking forward to going back in a couple weeks when David is visiting. What a fun day so far!!!

Oh yes, one last thing to tell all of you - In my previous post I talked about The Hobbit below me... well, she wrote me a note and slid it under my door last night! How sweet! This is what it said, "I hope I did not seem unkind. I know moving can be very stressful. If you ever need anything you can knock on my door - right below you! Welcome!!" I was very touched by the gesture! I did have a moment of panic that she was reading what I was writing about her but in the card she called me "Mandy." I think it would be rather difficult to find me, especially online, if you were searching for a Mandy.

All my love and thanks to those who have been praying for me. God is listening to your prayers! I am having a wonderful day and am feeling so good about my decision to be here. Until next time ya'll - I'll be out enjoying the beautiful view of the Bluestone Mountains poolside.

1 comment: