Sunday, September 18, 2011

Time to take a breather

It is so easy to get caught up in... life! The every day things start to take over and I begin to process my world in list form. Breakfast, drive, park, work, lunch, work, class, meeting, drive, dinner, read, sleep, shower, and repeat. Such a big part of this experience for me was to immerse myself in the area in which I am living, to try new things, put myself out there, and be able to say that I didn't waste a minute of my two years in Harrisonburg. A couple things happened this week that made me stop and think, take a couple of deep breaths and regroup.

First, we had a nationally named expert on the first year experience in higher education come and speak at JMU. His name is Dr. John Gardner, if any of you have heard of him. He was coming to speak with faculty and meet with a few committees. The CSPA students were so fortunate to be able to have some one-on-one time with him. When I said he was an expert on the first year experience I more so meant that he created it. He came up with a concept of a University 101 First Year Seminar course. Because of him and his work we have First Year Program offices on college campuses. That was just an amazing experience to be able to listen to him speak! For those of you that don't know, my experience being an undergraduate teaching assistant for a UNV 101 course at NKU was the deciding factor as to whether or not I would apply to student affairs programs or not. Obviously, I had a wonderful experience and if I could do that the rest of my life I know I would be happy.

Having him be able to speak with us helped something click for me. I know it was something that I already knew so it was more like a re-realized it. I am at JMU to earn a Master's degree in College Student Personnel Administration. I want to learn and try and test and experience as much as I can, but most importantly learn, because I want to get a job after these two years are over. And I know I joke around that I would be happy scooping ice cream the rest of my life (which let's face it - I probably would be) but I wouldn't be as fulfilled. I know in higher education I will be able to find a role/job that inspires and fulfills me AND makes me happy. To ensure that happens I need to work very very hard while I am here. It's not like I am slacking off and watching "Say Yes to the Dress" marathons every night (because I only do that some nights :) but I know that I could push myself harder than I am.

This weekend my friend Emily came in from DC to visit on Saturday. It was so good to see her and so much fun! I had the chance to show her around Harrisonburg and JMU. Seeing it through someone else's eyes for the first time made me look at it differently as well. As Emily says, "This place is way more peace, love, and granola than I thought it would be!" The valley is such a beautiful unique place to live and with Em here I got to take advantage of things! We went to lunch at the 3rd best restaurant in the Burg (thanks to Trip Advisor! We agree - the food was delish!) and then walked around a free trade market that was attached to it. We then got to drive through campus (because the parking gates are up during the weekend! Yay!) and walk around the bookstore. I couldn't resist and took Emily walking on campus too. She got to see the Quad first hand which is my favorite view in the entire city. I haven't seen a photo that captures it well yet. It has a feeling attached to it. We also walked around the Arboretum on campus. It was just fresh beautiful weather to be outside! Before dinner we stopped at a antique shop and I found way too many things I want to buy! After dinner we had a to die for chocolate mousse (It will certainly not be the last time I have that!) and hung out with friends from my program.

The next morning Emily and I met Maggie at another local hole in the wall place for brunch. It was so so good! I am going to be a regular there! I can't imagine a better deal for breakfast! Emily has a new apartment in DC and there isn't an easy Walmart to get to around there so we did some one stop shopping for good deals and apartment nessessities. Right before she left I was more than happy to take her to Kroger so she could stock up on some Graeter's pints and Skyline chili cans! (Even though Em is a vegetarian she knows her carnivvorus DC friends would love Skyline dip!!) I was so happy I got to have a little bit of home with me in Harrisonburg as well as give her a little bit of home to take back to the city with her.

Tonight I went to CCM for mass in a multipurpose room on campus. I am so happy that being here and developing my own faith community has brought me even closer to the Lord. CCM has so many opportunities I need to sit down and figure out what can fit in my schedule. They are starting an apologetics series on Monday nights that I might be able to go to as well as an adoration hour and benediction during the week. With all of the changes going on in mine and David's lives right now we need all the prayers we can get! We are both learning that nothing is possible without faith and with God all things are possible (they just might not be easy).

Here is a small list of things I am looking forward to in the near future in case I get too busy before I can write again:
1) Tomorrow I am helping with preference night of sorority recruitment at JMU. I will act as a counselor to women who are having a difficult time making some decisions. I loved being a Gamma Chi (recruitment counselor) at NKU so I know this will be worthwhile - even if it is a late night!
2) I've been looking for one last piece to decorate above my couch and I think I have found it! I just need to decide what piece I am willing to spend the money on. One of them is an antique washboard that says Old Kentucky Home on it - so appropriate!
3) David and I are going to start reading a set of Christian based reflection books together. I bought the version for women at the Book Fair out here and his family already had the edition for men. I hope we both keep with it so we can connect in lots of ways even when we are miles apart.
4) This Thursday my cohort is getting together for a wine and cheese night. I'm bringing a blush wine that I got at an Ohio vineyard. Gotta stay true to my roots! But I am looking forward to trying/tasting lots of yummy treats!
5) It is sure starting to feel like fall! I know we are supposed to get a couple more warm days in there but right now I am so anxious for the leaves to start turning! Not only do I want to go to JMU football games but also start hiking in the midst of it all. If you don't want to come to VA to visit me then consider coming for the scenery! I never get used to it!

1 comment:

  1. You're an excellent blogger :-) Thanks for the update, Emilia!

    ReplyDelete