Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Cold Hard Truth


Okay, so I know a few posts ago I talked about relationships changing and good days and bad days and blah blah blah. If anyone can make a break up sound warm and fuzzy then I think I did just that. If I was too subtle for most of you – here is the straight up truth with no games or hidden meanings – I am a single girl! (Just to help you if you don’t get it yet here are some other key words: break up, heartbroken, dumped, “It’s-not-you-it’s-me”… following now? Haha)

A break up is a pretty big deal. I’m a person who is very in tune with my emotions but I’m also kinda smart J so my heart and my head have been fighting a lot lately. I’m lucky I have some good friends and an even better mom who deal with my chatter all the time. At least I’m not crying! Okay, so maybe once or twice, BUT I have been getting lots of “Wow, Emily, you are handling this way better than I thought you would.” I guess my friends expected me to be a train wreck or something. Thanks guys!

I guess it just felt wrong to be blogging about this before because it is so much a part of someone else’s life as it is mine. But I am able to apply one of my favorite pieces of life advice almost every day now: You can’t control other people or even what happens to you but you can control your reaction to it. And y’all better believe that I am reacting completely for my benefit! So I am just going to focus on me and not worry about broadcasting someone else’s business. For example, as I am writing this I am drinking a cup of coffee and eating some Nutter Butter Bites (I know you’re jealous, Dad, the breakfast of champions). I’m wearing leggings as pants and an oversized t-shirt. I have the lovely amenities at my apartment such as a heating pad for my back cramps and a view from my living room of the mountains surrounding the valley. I also don’t plan on showering for awhile and I might even watch The Notebook later while I’m crafting. I would say that my reaction is pretty much set for today. I actually think people wish they had my life.

After being in a relationship for 3.5 years I have seemed to have forgotten some of the rituals of being a single girl… or maybe not even forgotten, I don’t think I’ve ever even experienced them! Something I learned after going out socially the last two nights is that I should try to do my hair and make-up. I get I want people to love me for me and all that but I gotta draw them in somehow (and hope they don’t realize they’ve been tricked later)! Something else I realized I have no idea how to maneuver is approaching/being approached by random strangers at the bar. This new life is going to be so interesting! This post if getting somewhat long so I am going to just leave you with my first real adventure as a single girl. Hopefully you can laugh at it as much as I did!!

Setting the scene: A few of my friends in Harrisonburg went out for a drink special at a bar we like.

What happened: Me and Taylor went up to pay out our tabs before leaving. Taylor stood at the bar first and I waited behind her. I really wasn’t paying attention to anything so I was surprised when I got up to the bar and picked up the pen the guy next to me said, “You really shouldn’t have to be paying for that.” I gave him a confused look and then a smile because he was cute, tan, and had a mint green v-neck on. He continued by saying, “You are way too pretty to pay for that. You need to say to the bartender, ‘Excuse me, I look good so I can get out of paying this right?’” I laughed and said quite honestly, “I could never do that! I don’t really get how girls can always get free drinks and stuff.” He then replied with his most winning remark of the short interaction, “If you don’t mind paying then, do you care if I add my drink to your bill?” I smiled at him waiting for it to be a joke but he just stared back at me. He was serious. So I did what any smart newly single girl would do when such a treasure is right in front of them – I paid for his drink and asked for his number….. Um no! Are you kidding me?!! I got the heck out of there is more like it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment